Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Somero English Club Starts Again!

At the end of each Finnish summer I spend several weeks living in denial. I carry on wearing sandals when it is raining outside and even when September is just around the corner, in my head I am still somewhere at the beginning of July. I guess I am not alone in wishing that the Finnish summer could be just a little bit longer, and at times this year I have asked myself whether summer 2012 every really arrived here at all!

Still, there are positives to the autumn arriving. The trees become really beautiful as the leaves turn from green to gold, and there is also a sense that there are lots of new things starting.... the school year, hobbies, the possibility to start skating again etc. This weekend in Somero we also have the added bonus that our new swimming pool will be opening on Saturday after a long wait.  The building is really impressive and is already a great asset to the centre of the town. There are pools for both adults and children as well as slides and saunas - I'll bring you pictures as soon as I've been!

In addition to all that, it is time for the Somero English Club to start up again, and this time there will be some new groups added to the old ones. People have suggested starting a teenagers group, a group for retired people and another for children, as well as one for complete beginners - so it will be interesting to see how much interest there is. As I write these words I still have a slight technical problem in that the venue is still not confirmed. This is not because I haven't looked, believe me!  I must have visited around twelve places over the summer trying to find exactly the right spot, but I have encountered one challenge after another, and I'm still not certain where we will end up. So for the moment you will have to trust me that I will have identified a destination in time for our first meeting a week from now.

I may have some more news on this tomorrow. Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed that I can find us a new home for the winter.  In any event, I am looking forward to seeing both old and new members, andwherever we end up there will be coffee and pulla waiting for you when you arrive.    Keep watching the blog this week for an update on finding a home for the Somero English Club, and think positive!  See you all soon!

3 comments:

Katri said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed and thumbs up! No matter where should we gather once more, I'll be there!

Stephanie Silvan said...

I'm still interested in joining, so I hope you will post up the time&place here. Do we have to write an applicaton or just show up?

jodymerelle said...

Hi Stephanie and others interested in joining! Everyone is very welcome to our group when we start up again next week. I have made progress today on our venue and will announce it as soon as it is definite. Then I will hold a meeting for everyone interested in the various different groups and see what the interest is. I will post details on here and in Somero lehti. Look forward to seeing you soon...wish me luck tomorrow! Jody