Friday, August 31, 2012

Beach Volleyball (minus bikinis)

Having our last three children in 2008, 2009 and 2011 has meant that I have spent the past four years either being pregnant or recovering from childbirth. In other words my body has been a wreck and I haven't been able to do much in the way of sports.

I was like a whale most of the time, and felt as though I could hardly move. Now though, for the first time in ages, I am slowly starting to get my fitness back and I'm really enjoying tying lots of different sports, even though I am sadly not very good at them these days.

A few of us have got together recently and started to play beach volleyball by the lake on Härkäläntie and we are planning to continue until it is too cold to be outside. This evening I played with Liisa, Jukka and Ella and Cameron also came along to give it a try.

Of course I warned them all that as soon as these pictures were posted on the blog we would probably start receiving calls from the Olympic team ...so if you can't get hold of any of us this evening then you know why.

There are so many different sports available here in Somero that if you are at all interested in fitness then you genuinely have no excuse for not doing something!

We've also been orienteering, played tennis and we've timed ourselves running on the athletics track. What a shock that was. I used to be a fast sprinter when I was a teenager and was interested to see how fast I could run now.  I COULD NOT BELIEVE how slow I was. Still, the Somero champiosnhips are another year away so there is still time to train...

Tomorrow is the long-awaited opening of our new swimming pool so the family is looking forward to that too. I am sure the place will be packed for its first weekend.

Whatever you are up to this weekend, enjoy the outdoors while it is still mild outside and before the sleet and rain arrives. Let's make the summer last as long as is humanly possible!

If anyone would like to join us for another couple of sessions of beach volleyball then you would be very welcome. Have a good weekend!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jody, enjoyed reading your post (as always). I have only had one child but I do understand what you mean about getting back to fitness. I have been trying that a bit myself too. Great idea about the shoes. Of course, if you are able to collect shoes suitable for a tropical climate, I will be more than happy to distribute it over here....we are doing well. Much love,

go now said...

You made my day. Such a active day.