Thursday, August 30, 2012

Little Steps in a Big World

Anyone who is interested in following blogs will already know about the site called www.blogilista.fi

You can find Finnish blogs on almost any subject here, and there is a always a short description as to their content. The most popular blogs these days seem to be about fashion and handbags and shoes, none of which are particularly important to me, and on the description of A Town Called Somero I promised that I wouldn't talk about any of those things.

Today though, I had to break that promise. Minttu has her first pair of shoes, and has also taken her first ever steps this week, so as far as I am concerned that is a good enough reason to break the shoe rule.

 Of course we are all proud of Minttu's first steps, but this week also made me stop and think about how lucky we are. Our family spent a summer in Ecuador two years ago and met many people for whom shoes remain a luxury rather than an every day item.

Somehow, despite all the hardship they face, the Ecuadorian people always manage to remain positive and grateful for what they have and complain a lot less than we do in the western world where most of us have so much.

Sunset over Turuntie this evening
So amidst all these thoughts of shoes, and small steps, and those who have less than we do, some new ideas are starting to grow about how we in Somero we could possibly do something practical to help. I had a chat with a friend of mine, Taija, this evening and we are starting to come up with a plan. Shoes from Somero.... something along those lines. Why don't we collect together all the shoes we don't need or want and make sure they get to people who could really use them? I'm sure there is a way to do this if we think creatively enough, and if we manage to succeed, then I will go back on what I said on blogilista and become proud to write on a blog about shoes. Is anyone with me on this?

Oh...and by the way, good news. The Somero English Club has a new home! I'll let you in on it tomorrow, and I look forward to welcoming you there next week. I have a hundred different ideas and plans for this autumn so I hope you will join me in some projects where we could really make a difference.  On our own each of us can only take small steps, but together I am convinced we can do anything. Will you join me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that Jody is back...Great!

Heikki

Anonymous said...

Shoes are needed for very different reasons. Eg in Africa, South Asia (and so on), problem is that ground is getting so hot at day time, that there is almost impossible stand or walk without shoes. (Our problem is frozen soil in winter). In summer it is nice to walk without shoes.

Kyösti

Katri said...

Hooray!