Saturday, February 15, 2014

Somero Students Abi Risteily

I had the privilege this week of being asked to accompany our Somero Lukio third year students on their "Abi Risteily." This is a 23 hour cruise organised in Finland for students to celebrate at the end of their school careers.

Imagine being with 2000 teenagers in the same place at the same time. A little intimidating, you might think. Well, now imagine being with 2000 teenagers who are drinking and partying - on a boat - on the open seas. If you had any sense, you just wouldn't, would you?

Well guess what. I just did...and I have survived to tell the tale.

Along with fellow Somerolainen Arto Seppänen, I was one of two people asked to go along on the cruise to accompany our fifty Somero students. What I saw was an amazing surprise. Having worked as a DJ for many years in clubs several different countries, I have seen a lot of things. A lot of it not very nice...so I was ready to be called upon to break up fights and dry up tears before getting on the floor to wipe up vomit.

But I was completely wrong.  I wasn't needed to do anything...because everyone was perfectly capable of looking after themselves, and they all did. The students partied hard. There were a lot of short black dresses for the girls, checked shirts for the boys and some VERY strong after shave doing the rounds.

And there were also a large number of young people who simply wanted to have a good time - without aggression, without trouble, without feeling the need to scream at each other or insult anyone passing by.

I was proud to be a Finn this weekend, and even more so to be with the students from Somero. If our town's young people have the ability to be mature and responsible and still know how to have a good time...then in my view the parents in this town have done a bloody good job.

Congratulations to all of Somero's Abi students. You really have made the town proud :)















 

No comments: