Friday, February 7, 2014

Husbands at ABC

As the weekend starts once again, I am sitting at home on Friday evening, enjoying the quietness of the house.

It's been a busy day with the little ones. Fairly normal stuff...including Minttu flamenco dancing on the table and playing memory games on the floor (with Niko dressed as a chimpanzee).

Niko has not stopped talking about weddings this week. It started off with him saying that he was planning to marry me. When I told him that this wasn't possible, he wanted to know why. Of course I explained that you couldn't marry someone from your own family.

He then suggested marrying both Minttu and Luca, before he finally accepted that marrying either your mother or your sibling was NOT ok.

Having now taken on this piece of bad news, Niko was still not going to be stopped. He was a man on a mission. In the space of one week, he proposed to almost everyone at his nursery, my good friend and neighbour Anne, as well as Airi from the neuvola (children's clinic). (I think most of them said yes actually, so he will have some big decisions to make soon).

Niko did not stop there however. He also gave me some fairly strong opinions about my own marital status. According to him I should marry immediately. We then had some interesting conversations about who this would be with. Having now realised that he could not be my groom himself, he suggested various other family members - until he remembered the "no family" rule. Generously, he then said that if I wanted, I could marry Airi from the clinic. I politely declined.

"Can't girls marry?" he asked.
"Yes, they can," I replied. "It's just that I dont want to marry Airi from the clinic. And I'm fairly sure she doesn't want to marry me."      
"Don't you like her?"
"Yes, I do like her..." I said
"Well why don't you want to marry her then?" he asked, confused.

I then explained that you could only be married to one person at a time, so if he was already marrying Airi she wouldn't be free anyway.

"Oh, ok then," Niko said. "You'll have to find someone else."
I now realised that having gone through most people that he had ever met, Niko was fast running out of options.
"Who do you suggest then Niko?" I asked, amused.
"Just go to ABC," he said. "You'll find someone there."

So there we have it. I always knew that Somero was a special place, but it's taken this long to realise that any woman wanting a husband can simply pick one up from our local petrol station. This will come as a relief to many of my single friends, and may well attract a number of extra visitors to Somero. Not to mention the amount of weddings we need to start planning....looks like it's going to be a busy summer :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Petrol Station in Finnish is huoltoasema. It may be translated as service station.
May be caused by history, because it´s used to be some kind workshop too.
Anyhow I didn´t know that they are offering such kind services too:)
Kyösti

Anonymous said...

When it comes to ABC...on the spur of the moment I started to think about the ABC Hotel (Angeles City, PHP) faraway in the Southeast Asia. But arguably Niko referred to the logal gas station(!).All in all, Niko gains confidence in expressing opinions... :-)
Heikki