Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Better Tomorrow

Nearly 1.56 in the morning...and three guesses who can't sleep?

I've had a mixed day today. Some high points and some pretty low.

Just as I wrote those words I remembered that I had written them before, and not so long ago. I checked back to see when that was, and realised that it was on 28 September, in a post called Who will I Meet Tomorrow?

http://atowncalledsomero.blogspot.fi/2012/09/who-will-i-meet-tomorrow.html

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I re-read that post.  It was written the day before I was due to work as a volunteer at our church to raise money for Christmas presents for people in the community. I was looking forward to "tomorrow" at the time, because a year before I had met two special people who later became very close friends (Heidi and Elvi). In the post on that day, I wondered what would happen "tomorrow" and whom, if anyone, I would meet this time. I was full of hope and optimism about what the next day would bring.

As it turned out, on that "tomorrow" my whole life changed, and not in a way I would ever have hoped for. That was the day that my husband told me he was leaving me - and wanted a divorce. At first I didn't believe it was true, and then as it began to sink in, my heart broke into a thousand pieces.

Niko is three tomorrow
The good news is, that 37 days have passed since then, and guess what?  Those five weeks have hurt like hell, but we're all still alive!  The children and I have moved into a new (albeit temporary) home. There have been lots of challenges, but each time we conquer one it feels like another little victory. We have met some wonderful new neighbours and received a lot of support as well as practical help from friends. Some old and some new. We have talked together and cried together and sometimes even laughed, but the important thing is that we have helped each other get through each day.

I will never look back on this time as being a happy one, but I will certainly look back on it as being one when we were surrounded by people who care about us. I will never forget that.

So, back to the beginning of the story. It's been a mixed day today.  Some high points and some pretty low.  But once again, I am full of hope as to what tomorrow will bring. Last time I said that, "tomorrow" turned out to be a very sad day. But this time it might be different. This tomorrow is Niko's third birthday so that's something to celebrate.  There is also no chance that tomorrow my husband will leave us - because that's already in the past.

We have made it through 37 days...and I am sure we will survive day 38... so once again I have decided to hold my head up high and go into tomorrow with a positive attitude. Who knows what it will bring?

Here's hoping that this time tomorrow turns out to be a better day for all of us, and Day 38 becomes one to remember for all the right reasons. I'll let you know what happens - good luck for yours. Jody

3 comments:

Steph said...

Happy birthday, Niko! ;)

Katri said...

Happy birthday, little Niko! <3

Manu said...

Happy Birthday Niko :-)