Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year

It's been a funny sort of holiday season. After all the shopping, decorating, wrapping, waiting and cooking, the whole family became ill just before Christmas. We spent the next few days taking turns to be sick in bed. My turn, typically, came on Christmas Eve. I managed to be at my worst at exactly the moment the children were discovering what father Christmas had brought them on Christmas morning.

(I have to be honest, it did also hurt a little bit when one of them asked me why I hadn't bought them any presents....!)

Christmas dinner was cancelled and we had to tell our invited friends not to come. And then, just like that, Christmas had happened and it was the new year. It was my first new year with Nisha the dog and also my first without either parent being here anymore Needless to say, it was a bit of an emotional evening and a few tears were cried.

At midnight there was a spectacular firework display all around where we live. Nisha and I watched from our front yard and she gave me my first hug of the year. Looking back, the highlight of the holiday season has without doubt been the many messages we have received from friends across the world. This year, more than ever before, each of those messages was treasured.

And so here we are again. the start of another year. I have my list of goals and wishes for the year ready. Some of them will be achieved and others probably won't. And actually that doesn't really matter.

What I have learnt over the past two years from people who are no longer with us, is that all that really matters is the time spent with the people you love.

So if you have people in your life that you love, spend time with them, make happy memories and make sure they know how you feel. At the end of the day that is the only resolution that is really worth sticking to.

Happy new year everyone, wherever you may be. Lots of love from Somero xx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Jody. Big hugs to you! From Joanne