Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Special Date - 25th September

Exactly a year ago today I was in England celebrating my Dad's 90th birthday.  I knew at the time that it may well be the last birthday I got to spend with him and of course that's the way it turned out in the end.

So today I felt I had two options. One was to sit and wish my Dad was still here to sing Happy Birthday to - and probably cry all evening. The other was to invite round some close friends of mine whom he would love to have met - and celebrate his life with them.

I admit there were still a few tears...but not in a bad way. They were tears remembering someone who was dear to me and whom I will always think of with love.

Every person who was here this evening is someone who has been travelled with me on my journey over the past year and without whom life would have been a much bleaker place. I couldn't help looking around this evening and thinking how lucky our family is to have met the people we now called friends.

So Happy Birthday Dad...wherever you are. Instead of being a sad evening, our meal tonight was one of laughter and friendship and enjoying that feeling of togetherness. In my view the best possible way to spend anyone's birthday, something with which I am sure my Dad would agree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for you. All food and evening atmosphere was lovely and intimate. It was special day all so to us. Thank you Jody! M-L,K

Manu said...

Thanks a lot Jody for nice food, coffee and cakes and most of all your friendship. It was lovely to spend time with you and our friends.
Thanks again