Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Endings, Beginnings and Friends

It's been a sad and heavy week, there is no denying that. But with all endings there are also new beginnings, and that is what I am trying to focus on right now. We said a final goodbye to my Dad this morning. I don't have words to describe the way I felt inside. Or now, for that matter. At the same time, the service was a simple and fitting tribute to a man who did not like extravagant and complicated things. The organist played "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring", one of my Dad's favourite tunes. And we placed daffodils and white and yellow roses on his coffin.

The vicar, Mark East, was lovely. Very genuine and thoughtful and kind. I hope maybe one day I can persuade him and his family to visit us in Somero.  The funeral director, David Preston, was also very supportive and understanding. It made it much easier that I had met him a few months ago, as his wife and my parents were in the same care home. Somehow I felt as though I was among friends.

And now the funeral is behind us, it is time to go back home. This time I am bringing both my parents back with me to Finland. My Dad very much liked the idea that his ashes would come back to be with the family in Finland. And as for my Mum, she is making a new start back in her home town of Lumijoki (near Oulu) where many members of our family still live.

In the midst of all the tears, there was also some happy news for our family last week. After months of living a sort of "in-between" life, we have now finally found a new home. Last Friday it became officially ours. We can move into it as soon as we get back to Somero. That has to be a good thing.

And another good thing is the tremendous amount of friendship and love that has been shown to us over the past few weeks. Something I will never forget.  The messages continue to come, and each one has made a very sad time just a little bit more bearable.

Thank you again to everyone who has been part of this stage of our journey. Let's hope the journey now continues as one which is less sad, more positive and full of good health and happiness for us all.
It's certainly what my Dad would have wanted.

1 comment:

janestheone said...

Jody I am so glad , in the midst of all the sadness, that you have found a new home. It will anchor you, and your children. Where is your Mum going to live?