Friday, December 27, 2013

Happy Christmas!

The blog has been on a bit of a break over the last few weeks, but I wanted to come back to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Yesterday evening we had some friends over for Boxing Day evening, and it occurred to me as I looked round the room, that just over two years ago I didn't know any of these people - and now each one of them feels like family.

This week, the one between Christmas and New Year, is one of my favourite weeks of the year. Every year I am lucky enough to get a new journal for Christmas which I then start writing on January 1st. In the few days leading up to the new year and once the rush of Christmas is over, I love reflecting on the year gone by and looking forward to the new one.

This time last year our family was in a very different situation. We had faced a lot of loss, we all felt  apprehensive about what was ahead, Dad was still very ill, we needed to find a new home and we had all sorts of challenges to overcome. A year later though and we are smiling again. This has been the first Christmas in our new house and we have been lucky to have a stream of visitors all week.

We've eaten both Finnish and English Christmas dinners, played plenty of board games, laughed a lot and started making plans for the year ahead. All in all it's been a happy, peaceful Christmas surrounded by genuine friends...and who can ask for more than that?

Each year brings its own challenges, but each year also brings lots of good things, as I was reminded yesterday evening when I thought about all the people I was fortunate enough to be sharing Christmas with.

I am back in the mood for writing again now, so I will be back soon, but in the meantime I am off to visit my mother in the north of Finland this afternoon....so I wish you a very happy belated Christmas and look forward to writing again soon. Take care....

No comments: