Sunday, April 15, 2012

Blue Skies are BACK!

After two days of rain, I woke up this morning to find that the blue skies in Somero are back! Excellent.


Yesterday I visited Kohnamäki Bridge in search of the swans (Manu had told me that they were there a couple of days ago). It was very cold there and I only saw a solitary swan flying up above, along with ducks, crows and magpies, but I also got a shot of this bird in the picture.

Does anyone know what it is?  I looked in my bird book and I saw a couple which looked similar to this....but I'm still not sure.

I am sure that one of you outdoor Finns can tell me straightaway. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not an expert at all , but could that be Puukiipijä?
Manu

jodymerelle said...

I have just googled the photo of a puukiipijä and I think you are right...thank you! But why is there no puukiipijä (treecreeper) in my book of Finnish birds????

Anonymous said...

Swans "timetable".
There were 38 swans on Rautelanjärvi (lake Rautela) which is west from Kohnamäki bridge, it was approximately 9 o´clock this morning.
It seems to me that when swans are moving to north, those are "landing" late in the evenings and "take off" time is something 8.00 to 11.00 in the mornigs. Lakes of Somero are mainly stopover places. Only some couples stay here whole summer.

Kyösti