Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Six Today

Six years ago today I was in Colmar hospital, in France, listening to a track called "Mercy" by Duffy. After quite a difficult labour, I had just given birth to Luca. Since then, that song has always reminded me of Luca's arrival into the world. It was a happy day.

Luca and our friend Anne celebrating their birthdays and making a wish
Brothers Cameron and Luca

Six years later, a lot has changed. Luca has two new siblings, Niko and Minttu, and he has also become an uncle to baby Tiana. We are all now living in Finland. There have been hard times,  but a lot of happy ones too. Despite being only six, Luca has known for some time that he is going to be a fireman when he grows up.

Our friend Anne Siekkinen had her birthday yesterday, so we enjoyed a joint birthday cake, and I understand that several wishes were made!

I asked Luca what it felt like to be six, but he said it wasn't really any different to being five, except that now he had a scooter and he didn't have time to talk to me anymore because he wanted to go outside and play on it.

Which is a valuable lesson for us all really. Much more important to go outside and enjoy life than hang around listening to your Mum asking a bunch of silly questions. Happy birthday to both Anne and Luca, you both mean the world to us :)

1 comment:

janestheone said...

I hope Luca had a lovely day. I remember him on your lap in our sitting room in Strasbourg, aged I think four months!